Welcome to my walking diary...

If your reading this you may have found my blog from my webpages or from a walking forum. First of all I have to thank Stuart of walkingplaces.co.uk for maintaining my webpages - without him there wouldn't have been a ramblingpete.

I decided to start keeping a diary, to give me something to look back upon in the years to come and hopefully this will jog my walking memories into life when I'm in my decrepitude....which is fast approaching. This diary is now superceeded by the following...

MY BLOG IS NOW LINKED TO:

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/blog/


02 February 2009

Snow - likes and dislikes


The start of February and we have a real winter for a change, with real snow - for some parts of the country, but not really where I live. We just have a dusting, and over the last 20 odd years we haven't had many years that I can remember making huge snowmen. When my girls were young we went out towards Buxton so that they could have a play in the snow. I had to stop the car at the first sight of it, and they hopped out and built a 6" high snowman each. But there are a few things that I love about the snow, that make up for all the cold and disruption.

I love the silence we have when the snowfall is really heavy - no cars around. That crunch of snow under your boots, even better when you're up on the hills. Clear blue skies above a white blanket - brilliant. But there is a downside - too much snow and the higher fells become restricted to all but a well equipped experienced few. The roads clog up, it can cover boggy holes, cover boulders and hide ankle snapping holes, then it turns to mush - ok for walking, but not so good on the pavements.

We can all wrap up well and enjoy it though. Last year I had a fantastic day on the Coniston Fells, walking through a winter wonderland. I got back from Norway last night, after being delayed for a bizarre reason. The rig I was on had orange helideck lights and helicopters had been landing there for years without a problem. But the powers that be decided that they were the wrong colour, so the helicopters wouldn't land after dark! Needless to say, the flight I was due to leave on was delayed and didn't fly out to us because it was dark - but every cloud and all that - I got some overtime, and managed to catch my flight home the next day....with 5 minutes to spare...phew.

Now for some walking - hopefully

1 comment:

PaulB said...

You missed out sledging!