Welcome to my walking diary...

If your reading this you may have found my blog from my webpages or from a walking forum. First of all I have to thank Stuart of walkingplaces.co.uk for maintaining my webpages - without him there wouldn't have been a ramblingpete.

I decided to start keeping a diary, to give me something to look back upon in the years to come and hopefully this will jog my walking memories into life when I'm in my decrepitude....which is fast approaching. This diary is now superceeded by the following...

MY BLOG IS NOW LINKED TO:

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/blog/


15 February 2009

Cat-O-Matic says "No more snow thanks"


I set the cat-o-matic for getting up early before this weeks walks - if I leave her in, she comes and stays on the end of the bed. Wake up time for her is 05:30-ish, which is ideal for being up and away before the masses, but italways suprises me how much traffic is around at 6 in the morning. It was still snowy for the weekend walks - Wales on Friday the 13th! I walked with a couple of gents from the walking forum - Robbo who I had met the week before on Moel Eilio and Mike from Cheshire. Both work shifts which allows them to walk midweek, so I'm sure we will walk again - good company both. On Saturday it was up to Ingleborough with Stuart from walking places fame, who drove me up at break-neck speed to walk a delightful and eventful walk around the dales. Read the stories for the details - Yr Elen and Ingleborough.

I got to use my new toy and it has great potential when I get used to pressing the right buttons. The only drawback on Saturday proved to be me - I left the wrong map in from Friday, so only had a GPS map and not the OS map. But it was good enough and I couldn't get lost on either day, as Robbo led me by the nose on Friday through the clouds on high hills, and Stuart did the same on Sunday. Both however tried to commit a kamikaze trick - Robbo attempted a dive into the Afon Llafor, and with Stuart
I heard a bit of an anxious cry, followed by 6ft4in of fell walker hurtling down the slope, legs in air. Excellent entertainment and he certainly reached the bottom of the slope a lot quicker than I did. My Satmap gave a distance walked at an average speed of 2mph, with a moving speed of 3.4mph - not too bad for the icy conditions. It also showed my maximum speed as 73mph - I forgot to turn it off until the motorway. Better luck next time - I'm off to Norway for some work soon and then it's the Cheltenham festival when I get home - giddy up as they say..

No comments: