Welcome to my walking diary...

If your reading this you may have found my blog from my webpages or from a walking forum. First of all I have to thank Stuart of walkingplaces.co.uk for maintaining my webpages - without him there wouldn't have been a ramblingpete.

I decided to start keeping a diary, to give me something to look back upon in the years to come and hopefully this will jog my walking memories into life when I'm in my decrepitude....which is fast approaching. This diary is now superceeded by the following...

MY BLOG IS NOW LINKED TO:

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/blog/


08 February 2009

Winter walking



Well a week has gone by and there have been a few walking tragedies in this wintry weather. Two in the lakes and three on Snowdon - it does make you rethink your strategy for winter walking. Because I got lost on a mountain once, some people think that somethings going to happen to me every time I go out walking, but I am extra careful in these conditions. I use Metcheck to monitor the weather, and compare it to the BBC forecasts and make my decisions based on these.

I had two walks this week and as I sit here typing up this, my legs are reminding me of my weekend exertions. The first was down to the Snowdon area and a walk to Moel Eilio from Llanberis. This route was chosen by Derek and we were accompanied by Paul. He had to carry an ice axe around with him all the way - better safe than sorry in this weather. The entire route was snow covered, but we all felt safe and only fell over once or twice. The path took in some lovely rounded hills (rounded on the parts we walked) and had fabulous views to all points of the compass. A great walk and many thanks to Derek, as well as apologies for murdering the pronunciation of the Welsh place names - sorry.

My second walk was selected by Stuart and was up in the Howgills to the east of the Lake District. A big group of rounded hills that always look very gloomy when viewed from the M6. The route was again chosen for it's rounded hills, but that didn't stop it from being a very tiring walk, as we had to walk like the flowerpot men - high stepping from out of the snow drifts. We were only at 2100ft and the wind was bitter cold, and the ground icy in patches. We pondered what it would be like on the high fells of the lakes - a step too far for us - brrrrr.

I'm in the third week of my slimming world diet and have now lost about 10lbs. But after the two walks my weight is the same despite all the exertions - it just goes to show you are what you eat, but also muscle weighs heavier than fat - so don't be discouraged. Put that pie down now!! I also took delivery of my Satman GPS and will have a play with it today, and maybe go on a little walk around the water park to check out the mileage!

No comments: