Welcome to my walking diary...

If your reading this you may have found my blog from my webpages or from a walking forum. First of all I have to thank Stuart of walkingplaces.co.uk for maintaining my webpages - without him there wouldn't have been a ramblingpete.

I decided to start keeping a diary, to give me something to look back upon in the years to come and hopefully this will jog my walking memories into life when I'm in my decrepitude....which is fast approaching. This diary is now superceeded by the following...

MY BLOG IS NOW LINKED TO:

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/blog/


10 February 2009

My gear

Every so often I have a splurge and splash out on some new gear. Always expensive, but my adage is that good quality stuff will last that bit longer and will be good value over the years. My first real pair of boots were Brasher Hillmaster and they served me well for over 10 years - they are still ok but a little worn and now they have retired to gardening duties. I replaced these with a pair of Meindl Burma Pro, which fit very well straight from the box - the only downside of these boots were the very thin insoles, but this was rectified with some thicker replacements. I keep them well dubbined and they will last me for the next 10 years or more. My waterproofs are Berghaus Paclite (goretex) and I chose these because they pack down to a very small pack which is ideal for my long distance walks. Like all waterproof jackets they will get a little moist inside when you are working hard, as it cannot wick away sweat fast enough. These are no different to any other material as far as I can see, but they dry out quick enough and are completely windproof.

My latest purchase is Icebreaker merino wool base layers - the most important thing about these is to keep anyone else away from washing them, or they may end up looking like something from mothercare. They are a fantastic buy, really comfortable and warm. Most importantly they are bacterially treated and absorb everything I can throw at them - very nice for those windy days! As for socks I use more than most, as I take mine to work as well. I swear by Bridgedale, as in 'feck' there goes another pair - no they do last pretty well, and unlike ordinary socks they come out oif the washer in pairs, not in singles.

And last but not least, after my escapades last year I have finally bought a GPS - a big splurge, but one that will save me from any future grief. I will of course be mainly using map and compass, but it will be interesting to monitor my progress with the GPS. I already have the memory map, and I can plan routes and download to the Satmap. It also means that I can download all my routes for my LDP's and use in conjunction with my guidebooks. It was a very expensive piece of kit but I decided it would pay for itself over the years. For general maps I print off from memory map and then laminate them - ideal for walking and no worries if they get wet or lost. More on this next week after my first walk with it.

No comments: