Welcome to my walking diary...

If your reading this you may have found my blog from my webpages or from a walking forum. First of all I have to thank Stuart of walkingplaces.co.uk for maintaining my webpages - without him there wouldn't have been a ramblingpete.

I decided to start keeping a diary, to give me something to look back upon in the years to come and hopefully this will jog my walking memories into life when I'm in my decrepitude....which is fast approaching. This diary is now superceeded by the following...

MY BLOG IS NOW LINKED TO:

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/blog/


24 September 2009

A Glencoe weekend


Back from the rig Thursday night, and up to Glencoe on Friday. Met Jimmy Saville in the pub - now then, now then, but he didn't fix the weather for Saturday. The morning loomed grey and the Ballachullish Horseshoe walk didn't look the best as the tops were covered in a misty mess. The forecast was a bit pants as well, so I called Mountain Mike to arrange the walk on Aonoch Eagach for Sunday. We ended up walking up to the Hidden Valley in a mix of weather - wet,dry, and wet. But it was fun and a great surprise when you crest the brow of the hill and the valley lays before you. It would be great for a picnic on a dry sunny sky - assuming the midgies don't get you. But we didn't see many this weekend - too wet and a touch chilly on high.

Sunday didn't start too well, due to Mike not turning up for the ridge walk. As it is one of the best in the UK to do, I was having second thoughts as I sat in the car and looked up. But you make a choice in this life and stick with it - I choose life, so I was up and walking uphill to the start of the ridge.

Fortunately for me I met up with three great guys from Dumbarton - Neil, Garry, and John. They gave me the confidence to walk/climb the Aonoch Eagach, and not only that they were great company as well.

All I need now is some continental drift to bring Scotland a touch closer - it's just a bit too far for a day walk. So in future I shall be planning a few more weekends up in Bonny Scotland - a fantastic place to walk and celebrate afterwards. I met some lovely people this weekend - thanks to you all.

No comments: