Welcome to my walking diary...

If your reading this you may have found my blog from my webpages or from a walking forum. First of all I have to thank Stuart of walkingplaces.co.uk for maintaining my webpages - without him there wouldn't have been a ramblingpete.

I decided to start keeping a diary, to give me something to look back upon in the years to come and hopefully this will jog my walking memories into life when I'm in my decrepitude....which is fast approaching. This diary is now superceeded by the following...

MY BLOG IS NOW LINKED TO:

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/blog/


06 May 2009

The sun shines on St Cuddies Way


Well that's the first of my long walks done for the year, and I was lucky again to have half decent weather. I didn't get rained on severely apart from a couple of heavy showers at the end of day1 and day3. But I used my golf brolly to good effect and it saved me from a soaking if I had had to don my waterproofs quickly. The walk contained all that I could have wished for - historical interest, some geology, plenty of bird watching, deer, badgers, watership down, Neolithic rock art to name but a few. The scenery was ever changing and the walking was a mix of moorland paths, sheep grazed pasture, woodland rides, field edge paths, metalled farm tracks, minor roads, crossing the A1 and the East coast high speed railtrack, and finally a causeway across to Lindisfarne Castle and a walk on the beach. A splendid mini break of about 70 miles in 4 days (plus 2 travelling).

The difference is with these walks is that once you are committed, you have to go for it whatever the weather - so if you always expect the worse, sometimes you get the best. The time of year to go? In my opinion April is reasonably, as is late May and the temperature isn't too hot. Also September can be a good month but is down to the vagaries of the weather gods. But come rain or shine it is something that is so enjoyable, and I will keep these walks up as long as I can.

No comments: